Tuesday, July 28, 2009

starving artist

My mom harbored this fear that I would grow up and be a starving artist. I never intended to. In fact, if I had taken the first job I was offered (editing a small community newspaper), I probably wouldn't be in this situation now, broken and unrepairable, mostly unemployable, in debt, desperate.

One of my favorite journals (Image) uses the slogan "Beauty will save the world."

When I refused that first job, my mom said, "I believe God has something better for you."

Then came pain, frustration, disappointment, loss of faith in my government as they dropped me and left me to pick up what shattered bits I can with one mostly working hand.

I know heaven is waiting for me, but I was hoping the something better might happen at least a little bit before then. At least there's still beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!