Saturday, August 29, 2009

Because of Winn Dixie and dead dogs

I kind of loved this book.  I'm doing some research on good books narrated by female protagonists, and I've been meaning to read this book for years.  I cried; I'll admit it.  I was glad no one else was out basking in the sun that day because I cried A LOT for no real reason except that it was kind of beautiful.

It seems to me like the books with male protagonists and animals all seem to end the same way.  Gordon Korman came to a similar conclusion in No More Dead Dogs, which my sister recently reminded me
  • had no actual animals.
  • still sort of resulted in the dog dying.
I'm curious, have you read any books with female protagonists where the dog/animal dies? 

Do you have any suggestions of books written since the late 80s that have a female narrator with some or all of the following qualities:
  • bright
  • funny
  • quirky
  • tomboy with no interest in being girly
I'm particularly looking for books that don't involve some big issue like the loss of a parent or innocence or moving to a new place or anything dramatic.  I'm trying to figure out how to tell a story where there's no real conflict/dramatic lesson learned, and I can't think of any I've read off the top of my head.  If you can think of any, please let me know.  I'd appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!