Friday, December 9, 2011

Night of the Living Dead Christian (not making this up)

It's called Night of the Living Dead Christian.  It promises comedy theology.  And my parents gave it to me for my birthday.  This is one I'm really looking forward to reading. : )

Once again, the comments on John Scalzi's site were fairly entertaining, as well.   The author even responded in a way that I found intriguing and funny; I hope my expectations aren't too high . . .
Matt Mikalatos says:
October 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Michael Langlois @ 12:58

I haven’t gotten any real criticism from my friends, but they know me well enough to know my point of view. I will say, as Jerry @3:09 mentioned, that the mention of religion in general seems to make people think they have the right to set up their freak flags on your front lawn. I’ve had angry emails from strangers, certainly. Also… a guy claiming to be Jesus wrote me, but that’s a whole other story.

3 common issues from the Christians who don’t like how I deal with theology in my novels:

1. “I don’t get it.” They genuinely don’t understand what is going on. Is this pro-Jesus or anti-Jesus or what?

2. “Could you write me an essay?” In the absence of obvious, point by point, essay style theology, some readers are unable to discern what is being said. And since I shy away from outright didacticism in my fiction, this can be an issue. These are also the folks who generally don’t like that the books are designed more to wrestle with questions than provide answers….

3. “Making fun of Christians = making fun of Jesus.” Which is obviously not true. I’m pretty sure Jesus is making fun of some Christians right now. In a really loving way.

I get completely different mail from people who aren’t Christians, but those are the issues that seem to come up most from the more religious readers.
I'll let you you know if I think it's comedy theology gold.  That's a genre that certainly isn't well-populated . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!