Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I want to be that teacher

I have fulfilled my dream of teaching college writing by teaching a couple of online composition classes, and I still want to be that teacher.  I think I would be good at being that teacher.  You know, the one who
  • knows all about the major and minors and department and catalog and makes sure her advisees are on track.  
  • is dedicated to helping students understand and learn and apply.  
  • teaches students to love learning and words and communication.
  • students love and come to for help because they can tell the teacher loves them and wants to help them succeed.  
  • learns from her students and takes delight in learning all sorts of things.  
  • loves her job and constantly finds ways to love it anew.  
  • is involved in the school and helps out on committees and in the community.  
  • has office hours and is available outside them.  
  • has an office you want to stay in, so you can look around.  
  • teaches students about how to try to be a decent human being.  
I want to be that teacher.  And I don't think I ever will be.  And it hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!