Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sometimes reality is dark


Here's a bit from the blog of an author I like.  She was a finalist for the National Book Award and writes great novels about teens that deal with consequences, family, and grace.  Some people find her works too dark and realistic.  That's why I enjoyed her sharing this quote.  

". . . I love this interview with Mo’Nique in the Sunday Times. There’s a lot there for writers, or anyone in a creative profession, to think about in terms of working hard and letting the work speak for itself. And, this quote (about Precious) is great:

“I keep hearing, ‘It’s so dark, it’s so dark,’ ” she said, placing her hands flat on the table. “This movie is not dark. This movie is honest, and I think we get that confused. I believe dark is when you see the action movies, and they’re killing 25 people in a room for no reason. That’s dark. Some people,” she said, looking up at the reporter, “can’t deal with that type of honesty, and so they just call it dark.”

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but this response applies to some of the criticisms of realism in YA."

I haven't seen the movie, either.  I really want to, but I don't think I'll be able to handle the darkness made visible.  I'll probably be reading the book instead.


Have you read Push by Sapphire or seen the movie Precious (based on the book)?  Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!