Thursday, February 7, 2013

Catching up on "old" movies: Slumdog Millionaire

I recently saw most of Slumdog Millionaire (except for the R-rated parts, thanks to my pal ScreenIt.com), and, while I had some issues with cinematography, script, and coherence, I thought it was a pretty good movie.  Some of the acting (especially the kids') was a little hammy for American movies but practically reserved compared to the Indian movies.

I found myself wondering what folks from India thought about the movie.  Did it seem very "westernized" to them, or did it have a ring of authenticity?  It doesn't really seem to at all closely follow the novel it's very loosely based on, so I have no idea.  Several people seemed to think it was a cleaner, more Dickens-influenced plot in its movie incarnation.  It was pretty powerful, either way.

And of course there was a big dance scene during the credits.  That made me kind of happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!