Friday, December 29, 2023

Well, we tried! Books it is! And a mug that reminds you of your mortality every time you use it!

There was less work for me to do over the break, so after several days of walking the neighborhood and reading and watching stuff and reading and exercising (too much because I got distracted by reading), I decided to plan ahead. From this (fictionalized) discussion: 

ME: So! We have done a LOT of reading! We have more days off during the week. We could go do something different! We could . . . watch a movie! 

ALSO ME: Book?  (Translation: There are several more books that we would like to read before the end of year for no really good reason.)

ME: There are some movies that would be great to watch in theaters! Let's look up the times and right them down. (Researches and records.) See?

AM: Book.  (Translation: Already saw the one we really didn't want to miss *The Boy and the Heron*.)

ME: Yes, books are great! We are sure reading some fun books! But we could also do something that we can't do when we're working on weekdays. It would be a good variety! 

AM: Book.  (Translation: There are people out there.  And weather.  And our rediscovered green coat has a vendetta with Midori our green knee brace.)

ME: Sigh. I know you don't feel like doing it now, but won't you regret it if you miss the chance to see these in theaters for lower cost and less people present than weekends? 

AM: Book.  (Translation: You have a good point there, but I'm pretty sure I will really be glad to finish this series before I have to go back to work and be productive and NOT read books all the time.)

ME: Books will still be there after break! Movies won't! Be reasonable! We don't want to read all the books now, or we'll run out of the books we're looking forward to and then be sad. 

AM: Book.  (Translation: I am pretty sure there are more books out there.  We could read them then.)

ME: Fine. It's not like there's a bad choice here. (Settles in to read books.)

AM: I regret nothing. 

I did also go get a haircut and schedule a dentist appointment and wander around downtown. Bought some berries and samosa and hot chocolate and tea at the tea shop 3 blocks away.  (I have enjoyed this warm winter weather for outdoor walks without worry about slipping and hurting myself again.) 

And at the tea shop, I was able to rectify my lack of a good warm beverage mug. (None of them made the triage cut to fit in the suitcases, and the ones provided in the unit are all incredibly subpar and small.)

You will be unsurprised to know that I did not purchase a mug with pastel flowers and grasses or bold art prints or fancy patterns. Or any of the mugs that might be considered normal. How could I when this was on the shelf calling to me, microwave and dishwasher safe, and with an instruction video? 

I regret nothing. About the tea cup or the berries. But I did walk too much, so extra ice for me while I read more books!

If you had vacation days / off, what did you do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!