Sunday, May 16, 2010

Teaching yourself things you don't know

Wow, have I been reading a lot of nonfiction lately.
  • 101 Smart Questions to Ask on Your Interview: This is a really excellent book if you didn't know what you were supposed to do in a job interview when they ask if you have any questions. There are so very many great questions to ask (and many not to ask). I can't wait to ask some of them (the ones you're supposed to ask, not the ones you're not), so I want to get another interview soon.  Preferably before I forget or finish this notebook.
  • XML: My head hurts. I learned HTML coding the old school, HTML-editors-are-for-wusses way. In some ways, XML using an editor with pre-formatted tags should be easier, right? Now if I could just figure out what they mean when they say XML doesn't do anything, but it carries data. Carrying data is doing something, right? Wrong, apparently. I think I need to see it in action because the descriptions just don't make sense. (None of the eight I've looked at so far . . .)
  • JavaScript: Same thing with JavaScript; I think I need to actually play with coding it myself, so I can understand it. I keep reminding myself that Flash was a total enigma, too, until I took a class and did it myself. It was very ugly at first, but I learned.  Eventually.
Any nonfiction you're slogging through to learn something from right now?

1 comment:

  1. I read parenting/child development books these days. Did you know that whole auditory/visual/tactile learner thing that teachers worry about kicks in way before school starts? Keeping a baby feeling secure or a toddler from throwing fits is apparently a lot easier when you know what their preferred sensory intake mode is. I think I envy the parents whose kids are happy with things to look at or someone talking to them (not that I mind cuddling, it's just taxing on the back and makes it hard to get stuff done!).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!