Monday, August 26, 2013

Peace Like a River - Have you read this book yet? Go, get it, and start reading now!

b Peace Like a River by Leif Enger:  This book.  Wow.  It has been on my list for a long time, and I will not waste time kicking myself for not reading it when it first came out or in any subsequent years.  It is amazing, and I love it.  There is something so incredibly kind about it that makes me want to go out and read it again as soon as I finish because I don't want to let the characters and their voices go.  There were things about the audiobook that I wasn't fond of, but on the whole, the reading of the story was very good.  Chad Lowe helped to bring each character to life with a different, distinct voice, and his narrator's voice just made this a wonderful story to listen to. 

The characters were wonderful.  They didn't always do the right things, and the consequences were often hard to swallow.  I got angry, I laughed, I cried.  The plot wove together beautifully, and the stories just rolled out.  I loved the journey; I really didn't want it to end.  And then what an ending.  Holy cow.   

I liked what it had to say about miracles, about how they intrude and make people uncomfortable because they overturn the natural order of things.  This God is not tame or predictable, and His people suffer.

I wish I could communicate to you how much I loved listening to this book.  There was a sale at Half-Price Books while I was finishing it, and I went to 4 different stores before finding a good paperback copy.  I want to see if the physical reading experience is as good as I think it will be.  I suspect this will be a book/audiobook I will revisit many times over the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!