Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dreaming of bookshelves

Because I am a bibliophile, I am drooling over a shelving and storage sale at a local hardware store. I am dreaming about someday--when I live in something bigger than 385 square feet and above the poverty level--having awesome bookshelves made of steel (able to hold 500 lbs. per shelf), structural foam (250 lbs. per shelf), or resin (150 lbs. per shelf) and not flimsy, slowly bowing plywood (20 or 40 pounds per shelf).
I mean, I could easily double stack on every shelf of these monsters! Including the top shelf! I'm a bit giddy just thinking about it, so it's a good thing I'm sitting down.

I guess I would have to find out how much the big kid bookshelves weigh and how hard they are to transport/put together, but since I don't know, I can dream with complete freedom. Le Sigh . . . .

My apartment is kind of a book death trap, and I live in fear of the day one of these overburdened shelves gives up the ghost and rains death and destruction and books on my floor. I am most concerned about the books. What if they get damaged? What if it happens early in the day, and by the time I get back to pick them up in my loving arms, they are permanently crippled, irreparably creased from hours of being bent beneath their own weight?! The agony!!

Do you have any future book shelf dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!